February has been an odd month in that I’ve been seemingly extremely busy and not focused, leading to less productivity overall. For instance, I only wrote one piece at The Border House this month, even though I had plans for more, started rough drafts, and never finished. Also, I’ll be adding two pieces from March, as they both appear on the first day, and one was written during February anyway.
- I had a lengthy e-mail exchange with Deirdra Kiai about her game, Life Flashes By. It was my only piece for The Border House this month, but I was also really glad how it came together and allowed Deirdra a chance to discuss her game a bit more.
- I questioned the quandary in which I found myself: I wanted to review Magicka. Unfortunately, the game was too bugged to get an accurate depiction of the final product. In the end, it caused me to not review it until…
- Today, where I finally reviewed it. The difficulty was I was so hopeful, and I wanted to give it a positive review (for the most part, I did), but could not in good conscience do such. I suppose it brings up the question of what I see the worth of my reviews being. Questions…
- “Coming Out of My Virtual Closet” is exactly what it sounds like: a recounting of the first person to whom I came out. It just so happened to be in an online space, which is rather imprinted on my mind.
- Pitchford asks feminists to use Duke Nukem. I examined the fact that someone seemed to want to make use of the word fag and made sure we understood it was a cultural thing. I wondered why an American hero, developed by Americans, was trying so hard to be ‘edgy and funny’ with a British colloquialism. It doesn’t offend me, it just confuses me.
- I wrote something for Paste (and may do so again soon)! I pitched the idea to Kirk Hamilton that I wanted to look at the evolving morality system BioWare is using, and how it’s become decentralized, and allows for much more fluid interactions–I wanted to focus in on Dragon Age 2. He suggested we talk about the demo and have a conversation about it.
That’s all for this month. Things to come? I’ve been taking screenshots of X-Com and Stronghold for a post at The Border House. There have been a couple of playthroughs of Portal. There are two posts bouncing about using both Donne and The Awakening as comparisons (not a direct comparison, mind). Also, Dragon Age 2 releases–anyone who read this blog when the original released will probably know where that will lead.