Among the reasons I’m never positive on how to elect a GAME OF THE YEAR is the fact that it depends on when you ask me. I play a variety of genres, and depending on my mood, I might have a more kind eye toward a particular title. Instead, what I want to do is merely publish the list of higher profile games I played and finished this year. Among these titles are a number that were not released this year, at least three were replays (Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and BioShock).
An * next to a title means there are plans to write more about that game, with the parentheses that follow offering note of what I plan on writing. Please let me know if you would like me to look more deeply at another in the list (even if I’ve already written about it).
N.B. These are in order of completion.
- Mass Effect * (journal of gay male Shepard)
- Mass Effect 2 * (Asari, Ardat-Yakshi, same-sex flirtations with femShep)
- BioShock * (Sander Cohen)
- BioShock 2 * (further character analysis)
- Heavy Rain
- Shadow of the Colossus
- Final Fantasy XIII * (character analysis)
- Metroid: Zero Mission
- Katamari Damacy
- Metroid II
- Metroid Prime
- Metroid Prime 2
- Metroid Prime 3 (for all three, possible sense of isolation)
- Castlevania: Harmony of Despair
- Death Spank
- Dead Space
- Heavenly Sword * (Kai, Nariko, characters with depth)
- Super Metroid
- Metroid: Other M
- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
- Dissidia: Final Fantasy
- Alpha Protocol * (choice in games)
- Dragon Age: Origins, Awakening, & DLC * (likely in contrast with DA2)
- Sid Meier’s Civilization V
- Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee * (cannot master, can only imitate)
- Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance
This list serves as both a quick way for me to remember what I played (because while I have a Backloggery profile, it’s ability to navigate the library is lackluster), and a reminder of titles about which I should write.
Also feel free to recommend a title you think I would enjoy that released in the last year. On that note, I already have and plan to finish Fallout: New Vegas, Metro 2033, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood